What is Cardiac Rehabilitation?
The Cardiac Rehabilitation Program at Active Solutions Health + Sport is based on current evidence-based practices. This programs primary focus is building healthy lifestyle habits for patients in a safe and effective environment. Each patients program is individualized to ensure the best continuation of care. Research demonstrates that Cardiac Rehabilitation can have many health benefits, including:
- Strengthening your heart and body.
- Relieving symptoms of heart problems.
- Building healthier habits such as getting more physical activity, quitting smoking, and eating a heart-healthy diet.
- Improving your mood and lessening depression.
- Increasing your energy and strength.
- Lowering your risk for future heart problems.
Jane Nettleton, Exercise Physiologist and Kinesiologist is the program lead for our Cardiac Rehabilitation Program. She completed her Masters in Clinical Exercise Physiology at Deakin University in Australia. Much of her Master’s work was with patients with cardiopulmonary health conditions. Our local Nanaimo Cardiology Team will be overseeing the program and providing consultations for rehab when needed.
The Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
1. Initial Assessment (1 session @ 60 minutes)
- Full history
- Identify Risk Factors
- Identifying individual physical limitations
- Cardiopulmonary Assessment
- Consultation with Nanaimo Cardiology Team as required
- How to manage Osteoarthritis
- Review of current treatment for Osteoarthritis
- Why and how exercise can help with Osteoarthritis
2. Exercise and Education Component
- What is the Cardiopulmonary System?
- Causes of Heart Diseases
- Nutritional Advice
- Healthy Heart Management Strategies
- Psychosocial Support Strategies
- Review of current treatment for Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Why and how exercise can help your Cardiopulmonary System
- How to cope with difficulties of daily living associated with a heart condition
Exercise Sessions (Private or Small Group Setting)
- Individualized Exercise Program
- Build aerobic endurance
- Gain muscular strength and endurance through functional exercises
- Learn how to apply these exercises to everyday activities
Who Should Register?
ANY patient with a pre-existing heart condition, such as previous heart attack or heart surgery can benefit from the program. Studies have found that cardiac rehabilitation helps men and women, people of all ages, and people with mild, moderate, and severe heart problems.
Patients with heart disease risk factors can and are encouraged to participate in the program as a preventative measure. Many individuals think they are unable to do physical activity because of their age of other health conditions, such as arthritis. This Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is aimed at addressing those barriers to make physical activity and integral part of those patients life.
For more information on Cardiac Rehabilitation Programs, please check out the Heart & Stroke Foundation.
How to Register?
Please contact us to get started today. If you have been referred by your medical doctor and have a note then please bring your medical note to your initial assessment. The Cardiac Rehabilitation Program operates out of our Frank Jameson Community Centre location.