A Program Specific For Hip And Knee Arthritis
What is the GLA:D® Program?
Based on Good life with Osteoarthritis in Denmark (GLA:D®), The GLA:D Canada program is a nationwide evidence-based initiative that follows the current recommendation for the treatment of hip and knee osteoarthritis.
It is an 8-week exercise and education program for individuals with stiff and/or painful knees and hips, or those with knee and /or hip osteoarthritis. By strengthening and correcting daily movement patterns, participants train their bodies to move with improved control and alignment to prevent symptom progression and reduce pain. Research from GLA:D® in Denmark show participants being more physically active, reporting less pain, fewer individuals on sick leave, reduced use of pain medications and may delay or prevent the need for surgery.
GLA:D® Canada Is Made Up of 3 Parts
1. Education Sessions (2 – 3 sessions)
- What is Osteoarthritis?
- Osteoarthritis Risk Factors
- Symptoms of Osteoarthritis
- How to manage Osteoarthritis
- Review of current treatment for Osteoarthritis
- Why and how exercise can help with Osteoarthritis
- How to cope with difficulties of daily living associated with
Neuromuscular Exercise Sessions (12 total)
- 60 minute group exercise sessions, 2x/week over a 6 week period
- Learn how to control your movements and proper posture
- Build muscular strength through functional exercises
- Learn how to apply these exercises to everyday activities
- Outcome measures taken at initial visit, 3 months and 12 months after initiating program
- Information helps monitor and improve program for people with OA across Canada
How to Register?
There is a limited number of spots (6 – 8 maximum) in each program. Please contact us for more information on when the next program begins. The GLA:D Program operates out of our Frank Jameson Community Centre location and is ran by our registered physiotherapist, Rich Huggins.